Thursday, September 15, 2011

Science For Six-Year-Olds: The States Of Matter

This is a special post for my science blogging buddies in Mrs. Podolak's (my Mom's) class at Lincoln-Hubbard Elementary School. This year I will periodically be blogging about the topics the first graders study for their science units. All of these special posts will be distinguished by the title "Science For Six-Year-Olds." Even if you've already passed the first grade, I hope you'll still enjoy these posts as we go back to basics to learn about science.
***
Hello First Graders! I am so excited to be your blogging buddy this year. My name is Erin, and I'm a science journalist. A science journalist is someone who writes about different science discoveries, and tries to talk about science in ways that everyone can understand. I go to school at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Have any of you ever been to Wisconsin? Mrs. Podolak can show you where Wisconsin is on the map. I grew up in New Jersey just like you, but now I'm pretty far away. I moved here to learn more about being a science journalist.

I heard from Mrs. Podolak that you are studying the states of matter. Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass. Matter comes in different forms, which you should already be familiar with. There are solids, liquids, and gases. A solid is firm or hard and has a fixed shape. A liquid flows and moves, and can change shape based on the container it is in. A gas is something that expands to fill any space available.

I think the following song could help you understand the difference between solids, liquids, and gases. It is by a band called They Might Be Giants:


Can you come up with some examples of things that are solids, liquids, or gases? Let me know if you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments and I'll write back. I hope you are loving first grade so far and I'm looking forward to talking to you throughout the year!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, We love the song and learning about matter. Thank you. Love 1p

    ReplyDelete